Job opportunity: senior engineer (100%; bioinformatician) Genomics Core Facility (GCF) - UiB
Exciting Postdoctoral opportunity linked with the clinical department 2 as Senior engineer in bioinformatics.
At the Faculty of Medicine, Clinical Institute 2, there is a permanent position available as a senior engineer (100%; bioinformatician). The position is connected to the UiB Genomics Core Facility (GCF), which is located at Haukeland University Hospital. GCF offers services for global gene expression analysis and genomic DNA sequencing using Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) technology.
- Perform bioinformatics services for GCF users, such as planning experimental design and analysis of NGS data (short and long read lengths) from exome sequencing, whole genome sequencing, RNA sequencing, single cell sequencing and 16S metagenome sequencing.
- Maintenance and development of systems for data storage and processing (logging, reporting, sharing, transfer and deletion) of NGS data.
- Develop, update and test various analysis tools and bioinformatic pipelines.
- Training and lectures (e.g. lecturing on courses and workshops)
Qualifications and characteristics:
Applicants must have a master's degree in bioinformatics or a similar field.
- Good knowledge of and broad experience with various programming languages (e.g. Python, R, shell/awk, scripting) and technologies (e.g. git and docker).
- Good knowledge of bioinformatics tools and pipelines for handling and analysis of NGS data (e.g. GATK, FastQC, BWA, SAM-tools, HiSat, STAR, Cellranger, Annovar, VEP and R/Python packages for analysis and visualization of NGS -data).
- Ablilty to handle Linux based operating system.
- Practical experience with analysis of exome data, whole genome data and/or RNA-seq data.
- Knowledge of Nextflow, snakemake and singularity is desirable.
Experience with the use of relevant databases (e.g. NCBI, ENSEMBL, DDBJ, ClinVar) and/or the DRAGEN Bio-IT platform is preferred.
Fluent communication in English orally and in writing .Knowledge of Norwegian or other Scandinavian languages is an advantage.
We are looking for a person who Is approachable, friendly and aware of responsibility and who is highly motivated to perform bioinformatics services for GCF's users