Data produced by NorSeq
Data delivery from the NorSeq sequencing facilities to the ELIXIR Norway storage infrastructure is possible through two different procedures, depending if the data is non-sensitive or sensitive in nature.
The data delivery process is streamlined:
- A research project (the project PI) apply for a storage quota and a project area in the relevant infrastructure (NeLS/Storebioinfo vs TSD)
- NorSeq uploads new generated data into the appropriate project area using the allocated quota
- ELIXIR.NO assists in infrastructure/data management and optionally data analysis
- Research projects starts working on their data when it's available
Read more on how this is organized for the NorSeq Core Facilities below.
We may extend this type of service to other technology platforms in the future, and will try to assist you for an smooth start using the national infrastructures supported by ELIXIR.NO.
Non-sensitive data delivery from NorSeq CF to research projects
Sequencing data that is non-sensitive is offered delivered to the end-users in the NeLS/StoreBioinfo infrastructure, see an overview here.
The data delivery of a new non-sensitive sequencing project goes like this:
- First the CF assists the research project in filling out a simple form with project details, including data ownership, funding and scientific description, who should have access, and how large a storage quota the project should apply for.
- The CF then contacts the ELIXIR.NO helpdesk to have the storage quota application processed, and the NeLS/StoreBioinfo infrastructure prepared with a new project area, quota, users with different types of access.
- When notified by the ELIXIR.NO helpdesk, the CF will upload the new sequencing data to the right project area location.
- The ELIXIR.NO helpdesk synchronise the newly uploaded data from the NeLS storage area to the StoreBioinfo layer for safe long term storage.
- The ELIXIR.NO helpdesk assists all project member to get started with their login user in NeLS, and how to get started working on their data.
Of course, data delivery to an existing project is also possible, then referring to the existing project identifier that the CF and ELIXIR.NO helpdesk has assigned your project in NeLS is the key.
Sensitive data delivery from NorSeq CF to research projects
Data delivery of sensitive sequencing data, typically human genetic data, is provided through the TSD services provided by USIT and Sigma2. A more detailed description will be available here soon, but the overall basic steps are:
- The research project requests to get a TSD project created for the sensitive data, guided by CF and ELIXIR.NO helpdesk.
- A StoreBioinfo quota is applied for through a simple form as for non-sensitive data, including the TSD project ID of the new USER TSD project.
- A temporary shared data disk between a CF managed TSD project and the new USER TSD is organised by the ELIXIR and TSD helpdesks.
- The CF uploads the new sensitive sequencing data to the shared disk areas, and performs any agreed standard analysis on the data.
- The data is released from the CF TSD project and only available to the USER TSD project further on.
- Both ELIXIR.NO helpdesk and CF staff can upon agreement be invited to the USER TSD project by the project administrator for further data analysis assistance or similar.